About Crowcombe Court

A manor house has existed at Crowcombe since at least the late 13th century. Thomas Carew was born there in 1702 and at 21, having come into his inheritance, he began building his grand new mansion. The wings were built first and then the main house was begun in 1734 to plans by Nathaniel Ireson (who also designed Ven House near Sherborne). Both houses are in the English regional baroque style typical of the post Queen Anne period. The house was completed by 1739 and it remained in the ownership of Carew's decendants until the middle of the 20th century. 

The house can hold shooting parties of up to nine guns and their companions in King size en-suite rooms to create the full country house shooting party atmosphere.

Dining at Crowcombe Court is geared towards shooting parties and sporting groups. In addition to the excellent breakfast, we will work with you to arrange a dinner party to remember utilising local produce and excellent wines.

The Hosts

David and Kate are accomplished hosts. They purchased Crowcombe Court in 2011 both as a home and to run as a venue for weddings, events and shooting parties. David, following a career in the Army, worked for the British Association for Shooting and Conservation and as the England and Wales National Director for the British Deer Society.

Kate returned to her family estate in the New Forest from London following work in the Luxury Travel Industry, for the Deputy Chairman of Christies, but most pertinently for four years as a Lady Clerk at Buckingham Palace. She shoots, stalks and casts a fly!

Country Life December 2011

"The finest house of it's date in Somerset"

The Field February 2012

"The Kenyons don't shy away from a challenge"